Bruce Smyth, Senior Counsel, focuses his practice on professional liability (including attorneys and insurance brokers), insurance coverage and bad faith litigation (including property, directors and officers and commercial liability coverages), business and real estate litigation, products liability and personal injury.
Mr. Smyth has over 40 years of legal experience in California, including state and federal jury and bench trials, appellate litigation and arbitrations. He speaks and writes regularly on issues of business litigation and insurance and co-authored a legal book, “Computer and Internet Liability: Strategies, Claims and Defenses,” Aspen Law and Business 2001.
Mr. Smyth has been a partner in prominent Los Angeles law firms specializing in professional liability, insurance coverage and products and personal injury litigation, Charlston, Revich & Wollitz LLP and Williams, Smyth & Jacks LLP (founding partner).
In his free time, Mr. Smyth enjoys travel, hiking, reading history and biography and spending time with his two daughters.
- State Bar of California, 1979
- United State District Court, Central, Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of California
- S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Virginia Law School, 1979 J.D. Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review
- Stanford University, 1975, B.A. with Honors and Distinction
Notable Appellate Cases:
U.S. Fidelity & Guar. Co. v. Lee Investments LLC, 641 F. 3d 1125 (9th Cir.), cert. denied, 565 U.S. 1035 (2011)
Argonaut Ins. Co. v. Elite Home Medical & Respiratory, Inc., 593 Fed. Appx. 666 (9th Cir. 2015)