Shawn Shaffie’s practice involves all aspects of litigation, business, and deal making. Mr. Shaffie also focuses on professional liability concerning attorneys, accountants and other business professionals. He has favorably resolved numerous multi-million-dollar lawsuits and arbitrations, and has wide-ranging litigation experience in a variety of substantive areas including entertainment, contracts and finance, franchise law, risk management and loss prevention, intellectual property, insurance and sober living home malfeasance.
Mr. Shaffie is passionate about protecting artists and their imaginations. Within his entertainment law practice, he represents talent in all phases of deal making, contracts and negotiations, as well as litigation arising from such matters.
Prior to joining Parker Mills LLP, Mr. Shaffie worked at a prominent Hollywood talent agency, clerked for The Alliance of Artists and Recording Companies and served as a member of the University of Maryland Law Clinic, where he provided free legal services to the Baltimore inner-city community. Mr. Shaffie currently serves as a steering committee member for the Southern California Chapter of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society.
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D.
- Loyola Law School, Visiting Student
- London School of Economics and Political Science, M.Sc.
- Johns Hopkins University. B.A.
Professional Associations & Activities:
- Alliance for Veteran Support – Member
- Open Immigration Legal Services, A California Nonprofit – Board Member
- Santa Monica Bar Association – Member
- Southern California Chapter, Professional Liability Underwriting Society – Vice Chair of Steering Committee
- Los Angeles County Bar Association – Inn of the Court – Past Member
- The Johns Hopkins University, Young Alumni Committee Outreach – Past Chair & Past Board Member – Los Angeles Chapter
Honors & Awards:
Mr. Shaffie has been named to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Stars for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. This puts him in the top 2.5% of lawyers under 40 years of age in Southern California.
Speaking and Writing:
- “Ethical Pitfalls For Lawyers On LinkedIn,” Daily Journal, April 9, 2015
- “Diligence Curbs Conflict In Law Firm Mergers,” Daily Journal, March 6, 2015 (Co-Author)
- “Dos, Don’ts For Lawyers On Social Media,” Daily Journal, January 30, 2015 – Video Interview
- “Dos, Don’ts For Lawyers On Social Media,” Daily Journal, January 9, 2015
- “Can’t We All Just Get Along – Managing Conflicts, Ethical Issues, and the Relationship Between the Insured, Insurer, and Counsel.” For the Chubb Group, November, 2013 (Co-Author)
- “California Fair Claim Practices Act and Hot Topics in Professional Liability.” For ProSight Specialty Insurance, April, 2013 (Co-Author)
- Legal Malpractice
- Professional and Financial Services Liability
- Commercial and Business Litigation, including Franchise Law
- Entertainment Law
- Music Festival Law (Including Concerts and Events)
- Premises Liability and Habitability
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Sober Living Home and Drug Treatment Center Malfeasance